Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen H. Hicks signed a memorandum to renovate the Defense Section into a facts-centric group with the intention, she stated, of “enhancing warfighting efficiency and creating conclusion gain at all echelons from the battlespace to the board place.”
The May perhaps 5, “Making Details Benefit,” memo specifies the department’s very first-ever “details decrees” that are developed to “crank out transformative proficiency across the DOD facts strategy’s aim areas of Joint All-Domain Operations, senior chief conclusion guidance and enterprise analytics.”
The objectives of the info decrees, she said, are:
- Maximizing info sharing and rights for facts use.
- Publishing information property in the DOD federated facts catalog alongside with prevalent interface specs.
- Working with automated facts interfaces that are externally accessible and machine-readable and ensuring interfaces use field-standard, non-proprietary, preferably open-source, systems, protocols and payloads.
- Storing data in a way that is system and setting-agnostic, uncoupled from hardware or software package dependencies.
- Applying sector ideal procedures for safe authentication, access administration, encryption, checking and security of info at relaxation, in transit and in use.
“Knowledge is essential to preserving navy gain, supporting our people and serving the public,” Hicks stated in the memo.
“Leaders at all concentrations have a responsibility to control, realize and responsibly share and shield data in assist of our shared mission. Data permits capabilities this sort of as [artificial intelligence], equipment understanding and several autonomous technologies. It is essential to warfighters in search of advantage on the battlefield, and it is essential to determination makers,” she said.
In buy to speed up the department’s facts transformation, the memorandum empowers the DOD main info officer to supply leadership and difficulty advice about the DOD’s info ecosystem — people, engineering and lifestyle — info sharing, information architecture, info lifecycle management and a info prepared workforce. It also highlights the relevance of focused information leaders empowered with the sources and authority to condition vital investment decision decisions and establish the data workforce.
The memo lays out an intense timeline for examining and building classes of action to consolidate details attempts in the Place of work of the Secretary of Protection, reviewing knowledge administration and analytic platforms to discover chances to acquire efficiencies, scaling established abilities across the company and looking for supplemental assist from existing associates of the Defense Department’s workforce who can be part of this transformative effort and hard work.